The Laurentian Chamber of Commerce’s Legislative Affairs Committee members attend regular meetings, watch Minnesota Chamber of Commerce webinars which review the activities of the legislature. In doing so, the committee makes recommendations to the Laurentian Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors on matters ranging from policy to legislation.
Legislative Affairs Committee meetings are held at 8 a.m. (on Fridays) in conjunction with the Minnesota State Chamber webinars, during the legislative session in Minnesota as well as throughout the year to review legislative issues impacting the region and our members.
- Provide good analysis of state and federal bills as they arise during sessions.
- Continue the state chamber legislative webcasts during the sessions.
- Step up the level of discussion and debate on various bills by getting folks onto the committee who are knowledgeable in the major areas (energy, transportation, healthcare, environment, taxes, workforce and education, labor relations)
- Finish writing policy statements on the major areas of legislation.
- Increase effectiveness at Lobbying for business interests.
- Increase collaboration with Hibbing, Grand Rapids and Aurora Chambers.
- Reach out to area legislators, commissioners and mayors more often.
We also discussed that Hibbing has been effective at organizing legislative forums and that we should not compete with them but cooperate more.
Legislative Affairs Committee
- Rick Crum, Chair – Northeast Technical Services
- Glenn Patrick – GAP Engineering
- John Baxter – United Taconite
- Kurt Doran – Northeast Technical Services
- Dave Lislegard – Lakehead Constructors
- Jim Tieberg – PolyMet Mining
- Linda Scott – Up North Title
- Kelsey Johnson – Iron Mining Association of Minnesota
- Ryan Korpela – United Taconite
- Linda Johnson – IRRR
- Marci Knight – American Bank
- Heath Boe – NEMOJT
- Sandy Karnowski (Cleveland Cliffs)